DHS Extends TPS Re-registration Periods
On September 8, 2023, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that it is extending the periods to re-register for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for certain designated countries.
Under the designations, the re-registration periods of El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, and Sudan are extended from 60 days to 18 months. As a result, these countries’ new re-registration periods are as follows:
- El Salvador: from July 12, 2023, through March 9, 2025;
- Haiti: from Jan. 26, 2023, through until Aug. 3, 2024;
- Honduras: from Nov. 6, 2023, through July 5, 2025;
- Nepal: Oct. 24, 2023, through June 24, 2025;
- Nicaragua: Nov. 6, 2023, through July 5, 2025; and
- Sudan: Aug. 21, 2023, through April 19, 2025.
At any time during this extended re-registration period, TPS beneficiaries may submit Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status, and Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.
The DHS’ announcement does not change the previously announced extensions of the TPS designations for these six countries. It does not change the eligibility requirements either. This announcement extends the period when existing TPS beneficiaries may re-register for their benefits.
For details of TPS, visit here.